There has been a recent increase locally in scams related to tax collection by suspects claiming to be police officers. Suspects advise victims by telephone that they have an overdue amount of taxes owed to Canada Revenue Agency and threaten that if they don’t pay, police will attend at their door and arrest them. York Regional Police do not engage in tax collection of any type. Don’t be scared and don’t be scammed. Just hang up.
- So this guy got charged. “Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office reviewed video of the June 14 incident, and on Friday approved two felony hate crime charges against Timothy Trybus, 62. For first offenders, a felony hate crime in Illinois can result in a prison term of one to three years and a fine of up to $25,000.” Is that overkill or if “Hate crimes have increased at an alarming rate over the past year,” is it necessary? “There should be consequences. People have to learn there are consequences, especially in the era of Trump,” Gutierrez told the Chicago Tribune. “I really do believe there are people who say to themselves, ‘If Trump can do it, I can do it. Why can’t I go out there and say the things the president says?’”
- BIG COSTS FOR THE BIG SHOTS –> GoFundMe
- R. v. Duncan = CREATIVE JUDICIAL WRITING – Entertaining prose. I enjoyed the appended notes to the text. “You should get out of town”, the man said. And so began the journey that resulted in my path intersecting with Matthew Duncan’s path. And thence to these reasons, with a slight detour through territory that might have confused Lewis Carroll.”
- The new Canadian Judicial Council Judicial Education website. http://judicialeducation.cjc-ccm.ca/
- WHAT DO THEY TEACH AT “JUDGES SCHOOL”? – Find out here.