In this case a MMS precluded the Judge from considering the facts of the case, the accused’s background, the suitability of penitentiary conditions and the fact the accused had already served 18 months of house arrest. “Mandatory minimum sentences actually prohibit judges from doing the job they are tasked with, Clark said. Empirically, mandatory sentencing costs the taxpayer massively, “with no corresponding gain in public safety. Mandatory minimum sentences give an unfair advantage to the Crown by making it more likely for the accused to plead guilty to a lesser offence for fear of risking a long prison sentence,”
- After being disengaged with the poor cousin, Legal Aid, for so long, the Law Society of Ontario says they’re stepping up to the plate. We’ll wait and see what that really means.
- POLYAMORY. WHAT IS IT AND IS IT ILLEGAL? And what about bigamy or polygamy? And what about swinging?
- NIGERIAN BASED BEC SCAMS – Nigerian email rackets predictably target individuals, especially vulnerable populations like the elderly, but they also increasingly generate cash from a type of fraud called business email compromise, which fleeces companies of all sizes.
- BEC – BUSINESS E-MAIL COMPROMISE Be aware of what it is and be suspicious.
- COURTROOM EXPERIENCE MATTERS – Veteran judges say young lawyers lack mentoring, courtroom experience