Harper has imposed a mandatory fine upon every single criminal conviction in addition to whatever other penalty is imposed, no matter what the circumstances. This may be okay if you’re financially well off but for this defendant “who had addiction issues, was homeless and lived on $250 per month in social assistance”, it was a problem. Justice “Glass, who earns $308,000 annually as a Superior Court judge” doesn’t think so. We, the members of the Criminal Lawyers Association don’t agree. This is why we’re joining the appeal.
- After being disengaged with the poor cousin, Legal Aid, for so long, the Law Society of Ontario says they’re stepping up to the plate. We’ll wait and see what that really means.
- POLYAMORY. WHAT IS IT AND IS IT ILLEGAL? And what about bigamy or polygamy? And what about swinging?
- NIGERIAN BASED BEC SCAMS – Nigerian email rackets predictably target individuals, especially vulnerable populations like the elderly, but they also increasingly generate cash from a type of fraud called business email compromise, which fleeces companies of all sizes.
- BEC – BUSINESS E-MAIL COMPROMISE Be aware of what it is and be suspicious.
- COURTROOM EXPERIENCE MATTERS – Veteran judges say young lawyers lack mentoring, courtroom experience