“Historically the official stakeholders in the criminal justice system, politicians, judiciary, bench, bar and law enforcement agencies, have taken great pride in the near-certain infallibility of the adversarial system of criminal justice. Today the rising tide of post-conviction DNA exonerations has shed a harsh and unflattering light on the staples of classic investigative tools and trial evidence: investigative and prosecutorial tunnel vision, eye-witness fallibility, hair and fibre junk science, opportunistic jailhouse informants, self-induced and other induced false confessions and disclosure failures. These classic tools, alone and in combination, have been the cause of numerous wrongful convictions.” Richard Wolson “Tough Crimes”
- IT’S ALL OVER BUT SETTING THE DATE – Both the House of Commons and the Senate approved the Cannabis Act. Legal sales are likely to begin before the end of summer.
- After being disengaged with the poor cousin, Legal Aid, for so long, the Law Society of Ontario says they’re stepping up to the plate. We’ll wait and see what that really means.
- POLYAMORY. WHAT IS IT AND IS IT ILLEGAL? And what about bigamy or polygamy? And what about swinging?
- NIGERIAN BASED BEC SCAMS – Nigerian email rackets predictably target individuals, especially vulnerable populations like the elderly, but they also increasingly generate cash from a type of fraud called business email compromise, which fleeces companies of all sizes.
- BEC – BUSINESS E-MAIL COMPROMISE Be aware of what it is and be suspicious.