When we get charged with speeding or a traffic offence we usually figure it’s not worth it to attend court to stand in line to set a trial date and then have to take a day off work to attend the trial, so we just grit our teeth and pay it. Ontario wants to somehow start having hearings online with “unbiased decision makers” who are not judicial officers. What do you think? A good idea or not? (Here is the MAG consultation paper: http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/POA%20ConsultationPaper%20Final_ENG.pdf
- IT’S ALL OVER BUT SETTING THE DATE – Both the House of Commons and the Senate approved the Cannabis Act. Legal sales are likely to begin before the end of summer.
- After being disengaged with the poor cousin, Legal Aid, for so long, the Law Society of Ontario says they’re stepping up to the plate. We’ll wait and see what that really means.
- POLYAMORY. WHAT IS IT AND IS IT ILLEGAL? And what about bigamy or polygamy? And what about swinging?
- NIGERIAN BASED BEC SCAMS – Nigerian email rackets predictably target individuals, especially vulnerable populations like the elderly, but they also increasingly generate cash from a type of fraud called business email compromise, which fleeces companies of all sizes.
- BEC – BUSINESS E-MAIL COMPROMISE Be aware of what it is and be suspicious.