US & THEM – People commonly ask me how can I defend guilty people? Firstly I am amazed that every single one of us does not have a criminal record because we have ALL transgressed the law one or more times during our lives and probably deserve one. Secondly, most of my clients are just like you and me who have found themselves in a situation, whether of their own making (making bad decisions, exercising poor judgement) or not of their own making (being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the recipient of someone’s vindictiveness, suffering from a mental illness or condition) and who are ill equipped to deal with a crisis situation, who act out or make mistakes. Most of my clients are not happy to have to see me and never want to see me again at the end. So when I get all up in your face about my client’s constitutional rights and fairness and judicial discretion and police abuse of power and so on, I’m fighting this fight for YOU. You just don’t know it yet.
- 4-20 Be careful out there!
- ONE PROBLEM WITH THE PROPOSED QUASI-DECRIMINALIZATION OF MARIJUANA IS THAT IT CONTINUES RACIAL DISPARITY
- 4-20 —> APRIL 20 – This may be the last day for illegal 4-20 celebrations. ” April 20 has long been a day to celebrate cannabis and the culture that surrounds it. In cities such as Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver, pot enthusiasts gather by the thousands in public squares, defying the authorities.”
- THIS IS NOT LEGALIZATION – Possession of small amounts for personal use is all that will not be illegal. For everything else, the penalties will be stricter as the government tries to muscle its way into the industry. “Canadians already know where to get cannabis, and they will continue to obtain it the same ways they always have.”
- INCREASING MAXIMUM SENTENCES – So the government plans to keep more cases in the lower court by increasing the maximum penalty for ‘less serious’ offences to 2 years less a day (which is served in provincial institutions). I don’t know about you but when I think about what that would mean to me if I was sentenced to two years less a day in jail, I’m confident I’d consider it pretty serious.